If you are from Iowa and specifically the Des Moines area and are over the age of 40, chances are really good that you immediately remember The Floppy Show. Thousands upon thousands of kids enjoyed Duane Ellett and his beagle puppet Floppy for 30 years (1957 to 1987). Ellett originally created Floppy to help teach people how to care for their pets but before too long it became clear that Floppy was a star deserving of his own TV show. The Floppy Show contained short skits, classic cartoons, and every show gave kids in the audience the opportunity to tell a joke and beep Floppy’s nose. Here are ten of the classic jokes that kids told on the show (usually the same jokes over and over):
- Why did the man put the car in the oven? Because he wanted a hot rod!
- What’s the biggest pencil in the World? Pennsylvania
- Why are fish so smart? Because they swim in schools.
- How do you make anti (auntie) freeze? Take away her coat.
- Why did the man throw the clock out the window? To see time fly!
- How do you make a handkerchief dance? You put a little boogie in it.
- Knock knock. Who’s there? Boo. Boo who? Oh Floppy, don’t cry…
- What’s green and red and goes 100 miles an hour? A frog in a blender.
- Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the other side.
- Why is six so afraid of 7? Because 7 8(ate) 9.
If you have a chance to get on YouTube today, check out some of the shows and revel in the innocence and fun. Here are a few links to videos that we don’t maintain but that can either introduce you to the show or be a great trip down memory lane:
It’s hard to find TV shows like The Floppy Show nowadays, though it seems like our kids could really benefit from more wholesome entertainment. Ironically, kids today still like puppets and telling corny jokes complete with a full belly laugh. Those things it seems are timeless…